Activating the Marker.io widget via browser extension allows you to collect bug reports from Members and Clients, without installing anything on your website.
Why use the extension to activate the widget? (Pros vs Cons)
- Easy install as it does not require access to your website’s code
- More screenshot options (entire page capture, desktop capture, ..)
- Works on any webpage
- Only works for Members and Clients, not external reporters.
- Reporters must be invited first
- Reporters must install extension on their own
1. Add a destination
First, you will need to add a destination by connecting your favorite issue tracker.
This will allow you to collect bug reports directly inside your favorite task management tool. You can learn more about adding a destination here.
2. Configure your widget’s appearance & forms
Once your destination is added, go to the Widget tab.
Before activating your widget on your website, we recommend that you personalize your widget’s appearance (color, placement, text) as well as the forms inside the widget.
You can preview your widget in real time as either a Member or a Client by switching roles in the preview menu. You’ll see that Clients will be shown the Basic form, while Members will be shown the Advanced form.
3. Activate widget on your website
Scroll down to the Installation section inside the Widget tab and click on Activate Extension.
The first step will be to install the browser extension yourself.
All invited reporters will be asked to install the extension themselves. All Members and Clients can always install the extension again from here: https://marker.io/account/settings/extensions
The second step is to list all domains on which you want people who have the extension to see the widget.
If you’re using sub-domains, it’s important to list them all separately like this:
However, you do not need to specify the paths for each website. For example, you do not need to list
example.com is the trusted domain.
When both steps are completed, the widget has now been activated!
To stop the extension from injecting the widget into your website, Disable "in-page widget via extension" setting like this:
4. Choose who can see the widget
Once the widget via extension has been activated in your destination (see previous step) the extension will reveal the widget on your website for the following reporters.
Your reporters must:
- have a Marker.io account (as a Member or Client) and be connected to Marker.io.
- have been added to the destination’s User list
- have the extension installed in his or her browser
Once all these conditions have been met, go to your website and the widget will now appear!
Tip: If you want to collect bug reports from External reporter, you have 2 options: